Feelin' Chalky

Monday, November 22, 2010

Slippers and Snuggies

Ahhh...the Snuggie.  The world's most awkward Christmas present...OK maybe not the MOST awkward, but it has to be in the top 10.  The very first time I saw a commercial for it I immediately thought of my mom.  All throughout my life my mom has always been cold.  And I am not talking about your average, "brrr, it's cold, I think I'll grab an afghan."  I am talking about living-in-an-igloo kind of cold.  On any given night you can probably peep in the windows of my parents' home (but please don't - that's pretty creepy) and find my mom with flannel pjs, some sort of jacket/hoodie, slippers that go up to her kneecaps and a blanket - oh, and it's probably AT LEAST 74 degrees in the house already with the Buck Stove running.

You may think I am exaggerating...and maybe I am a little but not by much.  I used to laugh at my mom when I was younger.  I thought she was pretty silly, looking like an Eskimo all of the time.  There are a lot of things that I have inherited from my lovely mama - lots of things that I am proud of...but I NEVER thought I would be COLD.

It's funny.  I actually considered buying a Snuggie the other day...for myself.  Ha!  Since I have lost weight I have discovered that all along I have been cold too...I just had my own built-in heating unit.  ;)  Makes sense, right?  A couple of nights ago I was lying in bed and I realized that I was wearing a hooded sweatshirt, socks, and had a quilt and a comforter covering me...and I was still a little cold.  I realized that in two weeks time I had bought myself two pair of fuzzy-lined slippers that went up to my knees.  I realized that in the last several months our thermostat had jumped up 3 degrees.  I had to laugh.  I was becoming my mother - the Eskimo.

There are a lot of changes that I have gone through in the past several months - some good and some bad.  Each one reminds me of how much I had let my body hold me back and about how much I abused it.  I can cross my legs now.  I don't have to worry about whether or not I will fit into a booth at a restaurant.  I can shop in "regular" stores and for clothes without multiple "X"s.  I can actually enjoy taking a bath.  Those are just a few things - things most people take for granted, but things that were a struggle for me before.  I don't know about you but, I think I'll take a Snuggie over insulin any day! :)

This week I lost 1.2 pounds bringing my total loss to 83.4 pounds.  I'm slowly creeping toward that 100 pound mark!  I have confidence that I will make it through the holidays without feeling deprived and without falling back into bad habits.  I really love the way I eat now anyway and I have no desire to go back!  What are your feelings as turkey day approaches?

I have a long list of new products that I have tried and loved lately.  I am planning on a post sometime soon that will be packed full of my new grocery finds.  Stay tuned!  In the meantime, if you get a chance to try Quorn's Turk'y Roast, please do!  It was very good and tasted a lot like turkey!  Once I come up with a good gravy recipe (working on it this week), I will send it your way!  Happy Thanksgiving!


Go ahead and buy a Snuggie (you know you want to)!

No comments:

Post a Comment