Feelin' Chalky

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Celebrate Good Times, C'mon!

Hmmm...should I start things off like this?




Or this?






Anyway you slice it...it's big news...I hit my big goal today!!!  I lost 3 pounds this week bringing my grand total up and over the 100 pound mark (101.6 to be exact!).  I am so overwhelmed with emotion that I am speechless.  Well, almost...



And by the way...the products I reviewed are from a company called WayFare and you can check out all of their products on their website here.  I promise you won't be disappointed!

This morning at my WW meeting there were so many things I wanted to say about the last year and a month (and 5 days...but who's counting really?).  Looking back on all the changes I have made it is hard to consolidate everything into a short little "speech."  The biggest thing I wanted to convey is that YOU are the only one responsible for your success.  It has to be a personal journey.  God gives you the strength and places the right people and information in your path, but YOU have to be willing to take it all and run with it.  I think we all rely a little bit too much on other people and things to carry us through...and even though other people are SO incredibly important for support and motivation...you are the one that has to face the scale each week.

For so long I refused to take responsibility for my health.  I fooled myself into believing that I was just destined to be overweight my whole life - that it wasn't my fault.  I believed that somehow I was flawed or broken and that I couldn't be fixed.  I think we all tell ourselves things like this from time to time.

Once I erased all memory of what I thought I knew about weight and diet and food I was able to soak in the truth.  I broke off the unhealthy relationship I had with food and was able to see things clearer than I ever have.  The information is truly out there we just have to be willing to search for it.  Food is the ONE true "medicine" we all need.  It is the only proactive approach to health.  Medication and surgery are just ineffective solutions to a bigger issue - simply put, they are bandaids.  

The biggest thing I have learned from WW is how to turn my need for control into a healthy habit.  Before when I would "diet" I would restrict what I put into my mouth.  I would keep myself away from things I love the most in an effort to get through a 6 month program.  That was my form of control.  Now I control my lifestyle by writing down (or tracking) what I eat and by keeping track of things like water intake, fruit and veggie intake, protein, whole grains, and dairy (or in my case non-dairy alternatives).  I try to also exercise control when it comes to portion size (most of the time).  It is not difficult or time-consuming to grab a measuring cup or a tablespoon and make sure I am not overeating.  A food scale has become one of my greatest allies.

Don't underestimate the power of eating fresh, whole foods.  Fruits and vegetables have such amazing power locked up inside.  That power is transferred to us when we consume them. Food isn't meant to be in a box.  Food in a box isn't healthy either.  Make an effort to eat more fruits, veggies, and whole grains everyday.  That was the very first step I took.    I think that is the foundation of success when it comes to living a healthy life.

My best bud, Jaime, shared a fabulous cookbook with me the other day and I wanted to pass along a couple of recipes I tried out this week.  the book is called, "Appetite for Reduction," by Chandra Moskowitz.  You can check it out on amazon by clicking the link below!  














Easy Breezy Cheezy Sauce

3/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp garlic (I used fresh she called for powder)
2 tsp onion flakes (again, I used fresh)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground turmeric
2 T broth powder (I used Better Than Bouillon Veggie Soup Base)
2 cups water
1 tsp prepared yellow mustard

Place everything but the water and mustard in a bowl and stir to combine.  Add water and whisk or use the back of a fork to mix and make smooth.  Pour into a 2-quart saucepot and cook on medium-high heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.  When the mixture comes to a boil, bring down the heat and cook for another 5 minutes while stirring constantly until it has a thick and smooth, cheese-like consistency.  Mix in the mustard and add salt to taste.  Serve over macaroni noodle or as a sauce over veggies.  (My verdict: YUM!  This one is a keeper!)

This next recipe is a mind-blowing salad with a dressing that would taste good on anything - including a shoe...right, Jaim?

Green Onion-Miso Vinaigrette

1/4 cup red miso
1-2 cups roughly chopped green onions (white and green parts)
3 T rice vinegar
2 tsp agave nectar
2 tsp chopped, fresh ginger
1 clove garlic
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 to 3/4 cup water

Toss everything into a blender and blend until smooth.  Use only 1/2 cup of the water to start with and then gradually add the last 1/4 cup to your desired thinness.  Chill until ready to use. (My verdict: There aren't words to describe this delicious concoction.)  P.S. this makes a lot of dressing - at least 4-5 servings.

And here is the salad...

Sushi Roll Edamame Salad
Serves 4

1 cup shelled frozen edamame, thawed
1 T rice vinegar
1 tsp agave nectar
8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
2 cups cooked and cooled short-grain brown rice
1 small cucumber, cut into matchsticks
1 medium sized carrot, cut into matchsticks
1 cup thinly sliced green onion
4 tsp sesame seeds
1 sheet nori, chiffonaded (this can be found in the Asian section)
4 ounces sliced avocado
Green Onion-Miso Dressing

Basically...add the vinegar and agave to the edamame and toss.  Chop your veggies.  Place the lettuce in a big bowl and drizzle with a little dressing.  Scoop the rice over the lettuce.  Top with cucumber, carrot, green onion, sesame seeds, nori, and avocado.  Serve the dressing on the side.  (My verdict: You will want to keep this recipe very close at all times)




3 comments:

  1. would love to see your video...it keeps coming up as "set to private." congrats on your accomplishment!!!! you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try it again, Sarah...I just changed it to public. Let me know if it still doesn't work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aubri,
    You are an amazing woman and I am very proud to know you and know all the hard work you've gone through in the last year, month and five days is paying off for you. You really struck a nerve with me with your comment about "you are the only one responsible for your success". That is so very true, and I've been missing the boat for too long. Thank you for your inspiration and best wishes for your continued success. I know you can go as far as you choose to go!

    ReplyDelete