Feelin' Chalky

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Mid-Week Pick-Me-Up!

So I can't remember which one you eat when you "feel like a nut" and which one you eat when "you don't," but I made some Vegan cupcakes today that had me singing that song.  If you like chocolate and coconut you need to try these out.  I adapted a recipe that I found online a) because I can and b) because no matter how many trips to the grocery and how many times I read the recipe...something always goes wrong.  Today it was my oil.  I sniffed two oils from my pantry and they both smelled rancid.  I hate that. Such a waste of moolah! Anyway, despite my concerns about the cupcakes being a "complete disaster" this little alteration worked in my favor and gave these cupcakes their catchy name! ;-)


Little MOUNDS of Vegan JOY Cupcakes
3/4 c. Organic Raw Cane Sugar
1/4 c. Soy Yogurt (SILK Vanilla Live is good)
1/4 c. Coconut Oil (make sure it is really good quality)
1/4 c. Unsweetened Applesauce
1 t. Pure Vanilla Extract
1 t. Baking Soda
1/4 t. Sea Salt
2 T. Apple Cider Vinegar (or lemon juice)
2/3 c. Plain, Unsweetened Soy Milk
1/3 c. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 c. Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)


Combine sugar, yogurt, oil, and applesauce with a hand mixer until smooth. (Tip: preheat your oven to 350 and set your jar of coconut oil on the stovetop to melt...it makes it MUCH easier to measure and mix).  Add in vanilla, baking soda, and salt.  Combine the apple cider vinegar with the plain soy milk and stir until it curdles.  Add to the rest of the wet ingredients.  Add cocoa powder, mix until smooth.  Finally, add the flour and beat with a hand mixer until smooth.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 22-25 minutes or until tops are cracked and a toothpick comes out clean.  This recipe makes exactly 12 perfect cupcakes.


If you're feeling frisky and want to try out a dairy-free frosting - this one is super-simple!  It is adapted from my "Skinny Bitch in the Kitch" cookbook.


Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
1 Container Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese (make sure it's plain b/c french onion might taste a little funny - true story)
2 c. Ideal Confectionary Sweetener (the Xylitol powdered sugar alternative)
1/2 T. Vanilla
pinch of salt


Combine and ENJOY!


By the way...last week I lost 0.6 pounds bringing my total to 98.2 - only 1.8 to 100!!! *Crossing fingers!*









1 comment:

  1. I didn't think about it until now...but...I think I'll try putting a little almond extract in the frosting!! BTW...the cupcakes are better and better as they "age." They were a hit at the girls' preschool today!

    ReplyDelete