Feelin' Chalky

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Give Seeds a Chance

First off...here is the website for the almond (nut) tins that I talked about at the meeting - they are so ultra chic!  ;)

Almond Tin

This week is dedicated to seeds!  In an effort to try new things each week, we are now venturing into the world of seeds!  This week we tried flax seeds crushed up and "sprinkled" (kids like sprinkles - so that's what we called 'em) on yogurt and yummy roasted pumpkin seeds with sea salt...mmmm!  Both are oh so good for you and both were kid-approved!  In fact, my girls couldn't get enough of the pumpkin seeds!  In case you don't know, here are some health benefits of these two:

Flax seeds - high levels of whole-grain fiber, lignans (antioxidants), Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids (has been recognized as the richest source of Omega-3s), on top of that they can help combat a number of ailments and help lower your cholesterol: Flax Seeds

Pumpkin seeds (also called "pepita")- protein, iron, zinc, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, potassium, and both Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids

This week, I lost 4 pounds which brings my total to 30.8 pounds!!!  Hooray!  I am finally starting to notice the loss when I look in the mirror, but above that, I am feeling it!  I feel so much better, so much more alive and free!  It sounds dumb, but I do.  My kids are eating better and my hubby is eating better and my whole belief about food and about what I am capable of doing has been overhauled.  I am so excited to see what the future brings.  Next week I should hit my 10%.  Losing just 10% of your weight can have so many health benefits and decrease likelihood of so many diseases like diabetes and heart disease.  I'm not out of the woods yet, but I can definitely see through the trees!

1 comment: