Feelin' Chalky

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ups and Downs

So...let me just start with a big *SIGH.* Here we go with a week 4 update:

It has been a month now since I started WW. I have to say, collectively, I FEEL so much better already. My mind is clearer (most days), I have more energy, and I am enjoying tasting and preparing new foods. I always have been a veggie and fruit lover, just too lazy to prepare them and too overwhelmed to buy them. It is so much easier to eat junk, really. That's sad. Now, I just feel like it is part of my life. I feel like each week gets easier in terms of fitting the new me and new habits into the rest of the chaos! Yay God for that!

This week, I really felt like I only had one "bad" day. I tried new veggies - loved them! Zucchini is probably a new fave for me (recipe at the end). I tried to make tilapia, but due to the fact that it was frozen and slightly freezer-burned...I choked it down even though I hated every bite! My hubbie tells me that Meijer has the fresh stuff on sale this week, so I will try fresh Tilapia next week. I also attempted to make a healthier version of my husband's beloved childhood favorite - Beef Stroganoff. It didn't go so well. It didn't taste bad, but it didn't resemble beef stroganoff either...maybe because I used soy crumbles instead of ground beef? ;)

A big round of applause goes to Applebee's. (clap, clap, clap) We ate there last night and I had the Grilled Dijon Chicken & Portobellos - excellent! It is one of the five under 550 meals. It is a a grilled chicken breast with red onions, portobello mushrooms, and cheese. It came with steamed broccoli, carrots, zucchini AND seasoned red potatoes! I was able to (thanks to Hungry Girl) find exact stats on it and it only weighs in at 450 calories! Way to go Applebee's! However, I am disappointed that Applebee's doesn't post nutrition facts on their website...shame, shame. At least Chili's isn't ASHAMED that their salads are thousands of calories a piece...man up!!

I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with the scale this week, BUT I still had a loss even though it was small. This week's loss was 0.6 pounds and total weight loss is 14.8...not bad for one month, eh? Congrats to my 2 WW buddies who both had awesome stats! :)

I am excited to try out my new food scale this week AND my organic produce through B&B Organics. Did you know there is a co-op in Kokomo???? You should join! :) Oh, and I can't forget the Holey Donuts that will be arriving at my door...can't wait to try them out AND I don't have to feel guilty about it! ;)

Scratch recipe #3: Italian Zucchini

I remember making Italian Zucchini in one of my college cooking classes...yes, I took Foods 1 and 2. (I really wanted to go to culinary or pastry school.) I know I have the recipe somewhere, but I didn't really want to dig for it, so here is what I came up with. SUPER easy and SO SO good!

2 Zucchini sliced into "coins"
Olive Oil
S&P
1 small onion (I didn't have one, so I used my *Onion, Onion! seasoning)
1c. Tomato Sauce (I used Hunt's plain tomato sauce)
Italian Seasoning (I used my *Italian Garlic Bread seasoning)
Kraft Italian 5 Cheese (Mozzarella, Provolone, Parmesan, Romano, Asiago)

Slice the zucchini - not too thick, not too thin and throw it into a pan with the olive oil, salt and pepper, and onion. Saute it until slightly fork-tender. Add tomato sauce and Italian seasonings. Let it bubble for 5 minutes or so OR until your kids are quiet enough that you remember to check on it. ;) Sprinkle with cheese and eat. This was SO good and the fish was SO bad that I ALMOST ate all of it by myself. It is so good for you and packed with so many nutrients, you should really just go make it right now!

* These are items sold through Tastefully Simple. You can substitute them with just "minced onion" and "italian seasoning," or you can ask me how you can acquire them.



No comments:

Post a Comment