Feelin' Chalky

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Eat the Rainbow!

OK...I am up ENTIRELY too late, but I can't sleep.  I have so many thoughts swimming around inside my head.  To give you an update on the homefront...we have been doing a pretty dern good job at maintaining a state of cleanliness here...which in and of itself is a miracle.  I mean, 4 kids + way too many toys + tired parents should be a recipe for disaster, but somehow we are managing OK.  We had an Open House today and had a couple of prospective buyers walk-through.  I am keeping my fingers crossed and trying hard to listen to the quiet whisperings of the Almighty - SO hard.  Where will we go?  No clue.  We have a couple of houses that we really like, but nothing set in stone.  Who knows...our "dream house" could go up for sale tomorrow!  ;)


And...now the bad news.  I didn't do my best at the scale this week. Even though I don't really feel like I changed anything food-wise, I have a million ideas as to why I tanked this week.  I will just say that I am going to keep on keeping on and move forward from here.  Sometimes I think it would be easier to attribute a gain to some big, catastrophic event like, "oh yeah...I ate that plate of 12 cookies...thaaaaat's why."  Alas...it's nothing like that.  :(  This week I gained 1.6 pounds (gasp).  I still have lost a total of 67 pounds which is so awesome, and I plan to lose AT LEAST another 55 - so here's to another 50!


One cool thing that WW is doing is a campaign called "Lose for Good."  Basically for the next 6 weeks we donate a pound of food for every pound we lose to a local food pantry  - Kokomo Urban Outreach.  I am pretty excited!  I think this is such a great opportunity to help others and it's also a great tool for us to see our progress.  For instance...what does 67 pounds of food and toiletries really look like?  I am not really sure, but I am going to find out!  My goal is to donate 80 pounds of food and toiletries by the end of the 6 weeks.  That means I am going to have to really get my behind in gear to lose another 13 pounds.  At the end of the six weeks, I will take a picture of me and my 80 pounds of "stuff."  I am really energized and excited to make this happen!  If you've been thinking about joining WW - now is the time!  And if you aren't in WW but are doing any kind of weight loss program and want to donate your weight loss too...I would be more than happy to take it for you.  I will take your picture with YOUR "stuff" and post it on my blog too!


One last thing I wanted to mention.  I brought this up in our meeting on Saturday.  I have been trying to work on getting my kids to eat a better variety of fruits and veggies lately, so I came up with the idea of eating the colors of the rainbow.  Now I know that Skittles beat me to the punch and coined the phrase, "taste the rainbow," but I am going to coin the phrase, "eat the rainbow!"  :)  They were pretty excited about eating their colors - and so am I!  I think it will help keep me accountable to them.  I want to make sure I am eating all the colors I should be.  It's easy to get stuck in a rut.  I encourage all of you to do it as well. Studies have shown that you get the best nutritional balance when you are eating a variety of colors of fruits and vegetables and less of the brown and white stuff (by that I mean breads and pastas, nuggets, fried crap, sugar, flour...you get the idea).  As my leader said to me...have a rainbow week!


Oh, and P.S. - I apologize for picking on Mc. D's the other day.  Obviously they aren't the only offenders when it comes to nutritional train-wrecks.  In fact, they aren't even the worst - the probably have a better selection of "healthier" foods than most fast-food joints!  I read the other day that some restaurant is introducing a hamburger that is sandwiched between two grilled cheese sandwiches...ack!  So...I also say boooo to Wendy's, KFC, BK (isn't the stupid king enough to keep you from eating there?), Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Sonic, Cone Palace, Taco Bell (they put sand in their meat, people!), Rally's, White Castle, Hardee's, Dunkin Donuts, and even Starbucks...as a friend put it...some of their drinks are really just like drinking a donut.  :)  Who's wants take-out?

No comments:

Post a Comment